Therapy for chronic backaches, inflammation, slip disc and other vertebra disorders.
Kativasti is a special type of low back therapy or lumbar therapy. The word Kati stands for low back or waist and Vasti, for containing or retaining something inside. Kativasthi is an Ayurvedic lumbo-sacral rejuvenation therapy using hot oil or herbal decoctions. One can achieve both local oleation and sudation by this procedure.
BENEFITS OF KATIVASTHI
Pacifies Vata Dosha, Pacifies Vata Dosha, Reduces pain and inflammation, Deeply purifies and improves blood circulation around the lumbosacral area, Removes rigidity and spasm of muscles around a lumbosacral region, Nourishes and strengthens the bones, connective tissues, ligaments, nerves, muscles of the lumbo – sacral region, Lubricates the joints
• A dough is prepared out of black gram flour or whole wheat flour and water.
• Medicated oil or herbs for decoction is selected depending on the bodily constitution and the state of the humor (Doshas) of the person.
• The person is made to lie face down on the Massage Table (Droni).
• The dough is made into a ring of four to five inches in diameter which is placed over the lumbo-sacral area of spine.
• After it is glued with some water to make it leakproof, lukewarm medicated oil or herbal decoction is slowly poured into it. When this cools down it is squeezed out and replaced with more warm one.
• At the end of the procedure the dough is removed; a gentle massage is given over the area. The person is made to take rest for a while.